To provide people who are passionate about the natural environment and keen to pursue a career in marine conservation, gaining practical experience working within a non-profit conservation organization.
What skills will you learn?
- SCUBA diving qualifications up to Advanced Open Water (if necessary)
- Caribbean reef fish, reef associated organisms & coral identification
- Research dive experience
- Coral reef surveying techniques
- Whale shark population monitoring skills
- Experience working within a marine research institution
- Community outreach and environmental education skills
- Experience of conservation and eco-tourism issues on a Caribbean island
What is included in the project cost?
- PADI dive certifications (Open Water & Advanced – if necessary)
- Between 6-8 research dives per week upon completion of dive course training
- Pick up on arrival to Utila (provided you give us your arrival details)
- Accommodation (includes wifi, shared kitchen, tap water bills)
- Welcome meal and goodbye cocktail mixer
- REEF level 2 surveyor certification & Coral Monitoring ID training
- Responsible lionfish removal workshop
Dates & Cost:
Intern programs are one month long, beginning on the first Monday of each month and lasting a duration of 4 weeks. The list below shows available program dates for 2019 – 2020. For all dates, prices listed cover the duration of the one month program:
$1,750 for certified Advanced Open Water divers
$2,035 for certified Open Water divers
$2,320 for uncertified applicants
Upcoming Program Dates:
November 2nd – November 28th, 2020
November 30th – December 26th, 2020
2021 WSORC MCI Start and End Dates
January 4th – January 30th, 2021
February 1st – February 27th, 2021
March 1st – March 27th, 2021
April 5th – May 1st, 2021
May 3rd – May 29th, 2021
June 7th – July 3rd, 2021
July 5th – July 31st, 2021
August 2nd – August 28th, 2021
September 6th – October 2nd, 2021
October 4th – October 30th, 2021
November 1st – November 27th, 2021
December 6th 2021 – January 1st, 2022
All MCI programs are set to begin on the first Monday of every month and finish on the last Saturday of every month.
.*Interns interested in furthering their experience beyond one month are able to apply for WSORC’s Marine Conservation & Dive Master program.