A long term internship program for individuals keen to further their careers in marine conservation by gaining practical experience working within a marine research organization.
What skills will you learn?
- Experience working within a non-profit marine conservation NGO
- Caribbean reef fish identification
- Research dive experience
- Coral reef surveying techniques
- Whale shark population monitoring skills
- Experience working within a marine research institution
- Experience coordinating and leading ecotours
- Community outreach and environmental education skills
- Experience of conservation and eco-tourism issues on a Caribbean island.
What is included in the cost?
- Pick up on arrival to Utila (provided you give us your arrival details)
- Accommodation (includes wifi, self contained kitchen, tap water bills)*
- Welcome and departure meal
- All survey and monitoring training
- Lionfish spear training, and dissection workshop
- Boat orientation work shop
*Accommodation conditions are subject to change
Dates & Cost:
WSORC Research Assistant programs require a minimum commitment of 3 months, which will span three volunteer start dates. The cost of the RA program is $1,000 USD per month. Start dates available for our 2017 RA programs are as follows:
August 7th, 2017
September 4th, 2017
October 2nd, 2017
November 6th, 2017
December 4th, 2017
January 1st, 2018
February 5th, 2018
March 5th, 2018
April 2nd, 2018
May 7th, 2018
June 4th, 2018
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Experience studying marine biology, conservation, environmental studies or related field is preferable but not essential.
- Microsoft Office experience
- PADI Dive Master certified or equivalent. Please Note: Candidates who are not certified to Dive Master level may still complete a Dive Master internship. For more information, please email email@example.com.
- Ability to work in tropical conditions within a hot and humid climate
- Comfortable at sea and working on boats.
- Interpersonal skills, initiative, enthusiasm and the ability to work within a team
- Must bring their own dive gear including BCD, regulators, dive computer, mask, fin & booties, dive compass, and dive slate.
- Experience managing interns
- Experience working with marine conservation NGOs
- Experience conducting personal research projects and data analysis, preferably using R and GIS
- Graphic design, social media and website skills
What is NOT included in the cost?
- Flights & Insurance
- Airport Departure Tax (Approximately $37 USD – at time of writing)
- Food & drink
- Electricity (Utila accommodations work with a prepaid electric meter, expect to pay approximately $25 USD per month per person)
How to apply
Please email your CV along with the WSORC Application Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will review your application and get back to you soon. Thanks!