A long term internship program for individuals keen to further their careers in marine conservation by gaining practical experience working within a marine research organization.
What skills will you learn?
- Experience working within a non-profit marine conservation NGO
- Caribbean reef fish identification
- Research dive experience
- Coral reef surveying techniques
- Whale shark population monitoring skills
- Experience working within a marine research institution
- Experience coordinating and leading ecotours
- Community outreach and environmental education skills
- Experience of conservation and eco-tourism issues on a Caribbean island.
What is included in the cost?
- Pick up on arrival to Utila (provided you give us your arrival details)
- Accommodation (includes wifi, self contained kitchen, tap water bills)*
- Welcome and departure meal
- All survey and monitoring training
- Lionfish spear training, and dissection workshop
- Boat orientation work shop
*Accommodation conditions are subject to change
Dates & Cost:
WSORC Research Assistant programs require a minimum commitment of 3 months, which will span three volunteer start dates. The cost of the RA program is $1,000 USD per month. Start dates available for our 2017 RA programs are as follows:
September 4th, 2017
October 2nd, 2017
November 6th, 2017
December 4th, 2017
January 1st, 2018
February 5th, 2018
March 5th, 2018
April 2nd, 2018
May 7th, 2018
June 4th, 2018
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Experience studying marine biology, conservation, environmental studies or related field is preferable but not essential.
- Microsoft Office experience
- PADI Dive Master certified or equivalent. Please Note: Candidates who are not certified to Dive Master level may still complete a Dive Master internship. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ability to work in tropical conditions within a hot and humid climate
- Comfortable at sea and working on boats.
- Interpersonal skills, initiative, enthusiasm and the ability to work within a team
- Must bring their own dive gear including BCD, regulators, dive computer, mask, fin & booties, dive compass, and dive slate.
- Experience managing interns
- Experience working with marine conservation NGOs
- Experience conducting personal research projects and data analysis, preferably using R and GIS
- Graphic design, social media and website skills
What is NOT included in the cost?
- Flights & Insurance
- Airport Departure Tax (Approximately $37 USD – at time of writing)
- Food & drink
- Electricity (Utila accommodations work with a prepaid electric meter, expect to pay approximately $25 USD per month per person)
How to apply
Please email your CV along with the WSORC Application Form to email@example.com. Our team will review your application and get back to you soon. Thanks!