To provide people who are passionate about the natural environment and keen to pursue a career in marine conservation practical experience working within a non-profit conservation organization..
What skills will you learn?
- SCUBA diving qualifications up to Advanced Open Water (if necessary)
- Caribbean reef fish identification
- Research dive experience
- Coral reef surveying techniques
- Whale shark population monitoring skills
- Experience working within a marine research institution
- Community outreach and environmental education skills
- Experience of conservation and eco-tourism issues on a Caribbean island.
What is included in the project cost?
- PADI dive certifications (Open Water & Advanced – if necessary)
- 8 research dives on completion of dive course training
- Pick up on arrival to Utila (provided you give us your arrival details)
- Accommodation (includes wifi, shared kitchen, tap water bills)
- Welcome and departure meal
- REEF & Coral Monitoring ID training
- Responsible lionfish removal workshop
Dates & Cost:
Intern programs are one month long, beginning on the first Monday of each month and terminating the Saturday directly before the following first Monday. The list below shows available program dates for 2017. For all dates, prices listed cover the duration of the one month program:
$1695 for certified Advanced Open Water divers
$1895 for certified Open Water divers
$1995 for uncertified applicants
Upcoming Program Dates:
August 7th – September 2nd, 2017
September 4th – September 30th, 2017
October 2nd – November 4th, 2017
November 6th – December 2nd, 2017
December 4th – December 30th, 2017
January 1st – February 3rd, 2018
February 5th – March 3rd, 2018
March 5th – March 31st, 2018
April 2nd – May 5th, 2018
May 7th – June 2nd, 2018
June 4th – June 30th, 2018
.*Interns interested in furthering their experience beyond one month are able to apply for WSORC’s Marine Conservation & Dive Master program.
What is NOT included in the cost of the project?
- Surcharges which may be associated with your preferred method of payment
- Flights & Insurance
- Airport Departure Tax (approximately $37 USD – at time of writing)
- Food & drink
- Electricity (Utila accommodations work with a prepaid electric meter, expect to pay approximately $25 USD per month per person)
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Experience studying marine biology, conservation, environmental studies or related field is preferable but not essential.
- Ability to work in tropical conditions within a hot and humid climate.
- Confident swimmer with capable snorkeling ability.
- Bringing your own mask, snorkel and fins is essential.
- Comfortable at sea and working on boats.
- Interpersonal skills, initiative, enthusiasm and the ability to work within a team
How to apply…
Please download and fill out the WSORC Application Form and send to email@example.com. Our team will review your application and get back to you soon. Thanks!