To provide people who are passionate about the natural environment and keen to pursue a career in marine conservation practical experience working within a non-profit conservation organization..
What skills will you learn?
- SCUBA diving qualifications up to Advanced Open Water (if necessary)
- Caribbean reef fish identification
- Research dive experience
- Coral reef surveying techniques
- Whale shark population monitoring skills
- Experience working within a marine research institution
- Community outreach and environmental education skills
- Experience of conservation and eco-tourism issues on a Caribbean island.
What is included in the project cost?
- PADI dive certifications (Open Water & Advanced – if necessary)
- at least 12 research dives on completion of dive course training
- Pick up on arrival to Utila (provided you give us your arrival details)
- Accommodation (includes wifi, shared kitchen, tap water bills)
- Welcome and departure meal
- REEF & Coral Monitoring ID training
- Responsible lionfish removal workshop
Dates & Cost:
Intern programs are one month long, beginning on the first Monday of each month and terminating the Saturday directly before the following first Monday. The list below shows available program dates for 2017. For all dates, prices listed cover the duration of the one month program:
$1695 for certified Advanced Open Water divers
$1895 for certified Open Water divers
$1995 for uncertified applicants
Upcoming Program Dates:
April 2nd – May 5th, 2018 (Full)
May 7th – June 2nd, 2018 (1 Space)
June 4th – June 30th, 2018 (Full)
July 2nd – August 4th, 2018 (Full)
August 6th – September 1st, 2018
September 3rd – September 29th, 2018
October 1st – November 3rd, 2018
November 5th – December 1st, 2018
.*Interns interested in furthering their experience beyond one month are able to apply for WSORC’s Marine Conservation & Dive Master program.
What is NOT included in the cost of the project?
- Surcharges which may be associated with your preferred method of payment
- Flights & Insurance
- Airport Departure Tax (approximately $37 USD – at time of writing)
- Food & drink
- Electricity (Utila accommodations work with a prepaid electric meter, expect to pay approximately $25 USD per month per person)
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Experience studying marine biology, conservation, environmental studies or related field is preferable but not essential.
- Ability to work in tropical conditions within a hot and humid climate.
- Confident swimmer with capable snorkeling ability.
- Bringing your own mask, snorkel and fins is essential.
- Comfortable at sea and working on boats.
- Interpersonal skills, initiative, enthusiasm and the ability to work within a team
How to apply…
Please download and fill out the WSORC Application Form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will review your application and get back to you soon. Thanks!