In partnership with Bay Islands College of Diving, this program is designed to perfectly integrate the highest standard of dive training with current conservation projects here in Utila This 3 month internship will develop all the skills necessary for furthering a career in marine conservation studies and professional diving.
- PADI Divemaster qualification
- Caribbean reef fish identification
- Research dive training
- Coral reef surveying techniques
- Whale shark population monitoring skills
- Experience working within a marine research institution
- Experience coordinating and leading ecotours
- Community outreach and environmental education skills
- Experience of conservation and eco-tourism issues on a Caribbean island.
What is included in the project cost?
- PADI Divemaster training
- Training and scientific surveying dives
- Pick up on arrival to Utila
- Accommodation (includes wifi, cable TV, full kitchen, water bills)*
- Welcome and departure meal
- Lionfish Management and Spearing Workshop
- Boat orientation workshop
*Accommodation conditions are subject to change
Dates & Cost:
Divemaster Internships require a minimum commitment of 3 months. Without exception, internships begin on the first Monday of each month and terminate the Saturday directly before the first Monday, 3 months later. Costs per month and start dates available for our 2017 Dive Master internships are as follows.
|Start Date||Cost with Dive Master/per month||Cost with Rescue Diver & Dive Master/per month|
|6th February 2017||FULL||FULL|
|6th March 2017||FULL||FULL|
|3rd April 2017||FULL||FULL|
|1st May 2017||FULL||FULL|
|5th June 2017||$1295||$1395|
|3rd July 2017||$1295||$1395|
|7th August 2017||$1295||$1395|
|4th September 2017||$1295||$1395|
|2nd October 2017||$1295||$1395|
What is NOT included in the program cost?
- Surcharges which may be associated with your preferred method of payment.
- Flights & Insurance
- Airport Departure Tax (Approximately $37 USD – at time of writing)
- Food & drink
- Electricity (Utila accommodations work with a prepaid electric meter, expect to pay approximately $25 USD per month per person)
- 40 logged dives required, and PADI (or equivalent) Rescue Diver certified. These are non-negotiable prerequisites.
Please Note: Candidates who have the required number of dives but are not certified to Rescue Diver level may opt to arrive one week early to the internship to complete the certification at Bay Islands College of Diving, and bundle the cost with your dive master internship. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this option.
- Must be at least 18 years old by start of internship
- Experience studying marine biology, conservation, environmental studies or related field is preferable but not essential.
- Owning your own dive gear is highly preferred but not essential.
- Ability to work in tropical conditions within a hot and humid climate
- Confident swimmer.
- Comfortable at sea and working on boats.
- Interpersonal skills, initiative, enthusiasm and the ability to work within a team
How to apply…
Please download and fill out the WSORC Application Form and send to email@example.com. Our team will review your application and get back to you soon. Thanks!