In partnership with Bay Islands College of Diving, this program is designed to perfectly integrate the highest standard of dive training with current conservation projects here in Utila This 3-month internship will develop all the skills necessary for furthering a career in marine conservation studies and professional diving.
- PADI Divemaster qualification
- Caribbean reef fish identification
- Research dive training
- Coral reef surveying techniques
- Whale shark population monitoring skills
- Experience working within a marine research institution
- Experience coordinating and leading ecotours
- Community outreach and environmental education skills
- Experience of conservation and eco-tourism issues on a Caribbean island.
What is included in the project cost?
- PADI Divemaster training
- Training and scientific surveying dives
- Pick up on arrival to Utila
- Accommodation (includes wifi, cable TV, full kitchen, water bills)*
- Welcome and departure meal
- Lionfish Management and Spearing Workshop
- Boat orientation workshop
*Accommodation conditions are subject to change
40 logged dives required, and PADI (or equivalent) Rescue Diver certified with current Emergency First Responder (EFR) CPR and First Aid certifications. These are non-negotiable prerequisites.
Please Note: Candidates who have the required number of dives but are not certified to Rescue Diver + EFR level may opt to arrive one week early to the internship to complete those certifications at Bay Islands College of Diving, and bundle the cost with the Dive Master internship. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this option.
- Must be at least 18 years old by start of internship
- Experience studying marine biology, conservation, environmental studies or related field is preferable but not essential.
- Owning your own dive gear is essential
- Ability to work in tropical conditions within a hot and humid climate
- Confident swimmer.
- Comfortable at sea and working on boats.
- Interpersonal skills, initiative, enthusiasm and the ability to work within a team
Dates & Cost:
Divemaster Internships require a minimum commitment of 3 months. Without exception, internships begin on the first Monday of each month and terminate the Saturday directly before the first Monday, 3 (or more) months later. The list below shows available program start dates for 2017. Prices listed are per-month for the duration of the internship:
$1695 per month for Rescue Diver certified applicants
$1795 per month with Rescue Diver Course extension
Upcoming Program Start Sates:
September 4th, 2017
October 2nd, 2017
November 6th, 2017
December 4th, 2017
January 1st, 2018
February 5th, 2018
March 5th, 2018
April 2nd, 2018
May 7th, 2018
June 4th, 2018
What is not included in the program cost?
What is NOT included in the program cost? .
- Surcharges which may be associated with your preferred method of payment.
- Flights & Insurance
- Airport Departure Tax (Approximately $37 USD – at time of writing)
- Food & drink
- Electricity (Utila accommodations work with a prepaid electric meter, expect to pay approximately $25 USD per month per person)
How to apply…
Please download and fill out the WSORC Application Form and send to email@example.com. Our team will review your application and get back to you soon. Thanks!